Donated 20 Cows to Poor Families in Desa Nawa Kerti, Abang, Karangasem
Together with Ms. Wisna from Bali Charity, we visited Desa Nawa Kerti with the intention of donating 20 cows to poor families in the area. The following points were taken into careful consideration before we implemented this programme:
- The idea of this programme is to get the receiving families actively involved in caring for a cow that will help improve their quality of life.
- Elephant grass and other plants suitable for cows to eat grow well in this area.
- The local community are already familiar with raising cows.
- The resale potential and profits from raising cows is significantly higher than other livestock.
- Cows are not considered sacrificial animals or are used for religious purposes in this area.
We collaborated with the District Head of Desa Nawa Kerti and 4 Community Leaders in order to effectively implement this programme. Our ultimate aim is to ensure that it runs successfully and can continue well into the future for the benefit of other villagers in the area.
The following steps took place in the lead up to the successful implementation of this programme:
- The District Head of Desa Nawa Kerti met with 4 Community Leaders from Banjar Laga, Banjar Bau Kaler, Banjar Bau Kawan and Banjar Bau Kangin to discuss the socialization of this programme.
- Each Community Leader was asked to identify and provide details of each poor family in their respective area. This did not include Banjar Laga as the living conditions in this community are fairly stable.
- Three other communities in the immediate area also met and provided the District Head with names of several more impoverished families.
- A list was drawn up and the District Head together with the Community Leaders selected 60 families that were eligible to participate in this programme.
- They were prioritised into groups of 20 for the first, second and third phases of the programme based on current living and economic circumstances.
- The BCC team visited all 60 families that had been identified.
The principles of this programme were as follows:
- We provided the funds for the Community Leaders to be used for the purchase of 20 healthy young cows for the first 20 impoverished families that had been identified.
- The amount allocated for the purchase of each cow was Rp.2 million.
- Each family was asked to actively participate in the purchase of a young female cow with the intent of breeding it.
- If any family purchased a cow exceeding the value of Rp.2 million they were to bear the additional cost.
- We visited each family individually to verify that the cow was purchased and being accommodated accordingly.
- From each cow that was donated, we will eventually take the first calf to continue the second and third phase of the programme by repeating the entire process so that all 60 families listed will have received one cow.
- Once the family have returned one calf to the programme, they retain 100% ownership of their donated cow.
- Any more calves born will be fully owned by the family.
- We ask that the local community and village leaders carefully monitor this programme and ensure that one calf per family is passed on accordingly. This will guarantee the continuance of this programme for the benefit others in the area.
The first 20 cows were donated to the following impoverished families:
We ask for your bless therefore this program can work and bring good effects for all. Amen.